Indianapolis, IN, October 22, 2019 – Auralex® Acoustics, Inc., the world’s leading brand of acoustical treatments, is being employed by more and more podcasters in the generation of professional-quality audio for their shows. Auralex offers a complete range of products to help tame the acoustics of any podcast recording/editing space, as well as diagnostic tools to help dial-in the sound and point toward the proper solutions. Visit https://www.auralex.com/podcasting/ for more information, and read the below tutorial on how to optimize podcast audio.
Auralex offers a step-by-step tutorial on dialing in the acoustics for your podcast:
Podcasting/Vocal Booth Acoustics
You have your great idea for a podcast, a quality microphone, and your DAW figured out. You feel ready to start recording, boot everything up, but everything sounds like it was recorded in the most reverberant bathroom of all time. Proper absorption and locational treatment can clean up your recordings and raise your work to a professional quality, with just a few simple steps.
Don’t Know Where to Start?
We have a quick solution! Our Room Layout eXpress (RLX) is a well formulated calculator to help you find the right amount of acoustic treatment for your space. From there, you can follow this guide to find the best locations in the room to apply products!
What’s different about a vocal booth / podcasting studio?
They are an easy fix! You should be looking at only one type of product in most cases: absorption.
Treat Yourself! 3 Types of Vocal Studios
While the categories of rooms you find yourself in for vocal recording may vary, there are three common types:
- A small vocal booth exclusively used for recording.
- A larger space used for recording.
- A larger space that is only partially used for recording (an office, living room, bedroom) that cannot be completely treated.
3 Steps for Acoustic Treatment
- Wall Absorption: Regardless of the height of your room, you’re going to want to absorb from sitting level to standing height throughout the space. Starting 30”-36” off the ground and treating to 6’6” – 7’ height will address immediate reflections off of the walls in your room at the height you record. If you have a wall directly in front of you, our DeskMAX Portable Treatment Panels will be of use.
- Smaller spaces require a higher percentage of the walls to be covered for a controlled and professional recording. Our RLX app can help you get a quantity of product. The rest is straightforward application!
- Start by treating the immediate recording area heavily with absorption. If the rest of the room allows it, we recommend spreading out and off-setting absorption on opposite walls, so that the treatment is not parallel. This helps reduce locational “slapback”, depending on where you stand within the room.
- Freestanding/Portable treatment is a terrific option to help wall yourself in. Our ProMAX freestanding and portable Treatment Panels are an especially versatile option. Couple that with the closest walls being covered with absorption, and your studio is almost ready.
- Ceiling Treatment: Treat immediately above you, and any other recording member of the podcast, with a spread of acoustical panels (at least 4’x4’ if possible). After that, spreading further absorption out across the rest of the room’s ceiling can help control room noise and echoes.
- Consider Your Needs: Is there a long glass window that makes one wall untreatable? Consider extra absorption on the opposite wall. Are you in a corner? Bass traps along the corners absorb across the entire frequency spectrum and fit into vertical corners easily. Feel free to make necessary adjustments, so the room is aesthetically professional and comfortable to use.
For more information, please visit www.auralex.com/.
Photo File 1: Relationary_PodcastStudio.JPG
Photo Caption 1: Studio setup for podcast recording at Relationary Media in Nashville, TN, featuring acoustical treatment from Auralex®.
Photo File 2: EditMAX-Portable-Kit-2.JPG
Photo Caption 2: Auralex® EditMAX suite, a common product bundle for podcast producers
About Auralex® Acoustics, Inc.
Located in Indianapolis, Auralex® Acoustics was founded in 1977 with a mission to provide top-performing acoustical treatment products at the best possible value. Since then, thousands of satisfied Auralex customers have experienced improved acoustics, expert advice and exceptional customer service. Auralex products enjoy widespread use among prominent artists, producers, engineers, corporations, celebrities and government agencies worldwide.
Auralex Acoustics has become the industry leader in innovative sound control solutions and continues to enjoy rapid growth through an international network of authorized dealers. Visit the Auralex Web site at www.auralex.com. Auralex can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 1-800-959-3343.